Friday, April 24, 2009

Week 7: Social Bookmarking and Tagging

Social bookmarking is a great way of saving bookmarks to a public Web and “tagging” them with keywords. Here is my Delicious account. It can be a very useful tool for the library to effectively select and organize the web resources and make them easy for patrons to search from any computer with any browser.

Like any technology, social bookmarking has its share of shortcomings. This tag-based system has no standard set of keywords and can be subject to errors or ambiguity. I don’t particularly like sharing personal bookmarks with people I don’t know. Because I am concerned about privacy, I will make those bookmarks private so that they are only viewable by me.

I have a problem with my Delicious account. When I use Internet Explorer to add bookmarks, Delicious keeps asking me to log in. I wonder if anybody else also encounters this problem and knows how to fix it.

1 comment: